Friday, February 19, 2016

The Trouble with Parking



The other day I thought I was going skiing with the family but the Steven’s Pass parking lot was full - now what? Not knowing what to do, I dropped the family off and drove down to the Nordic center for my own adventure – the parking necessitated a “divide and conquer” kind of day, and my man is the ski instructor and best ski-parent around. 

I had no idea what to expect when I got to the Nordic Center. My snowshoes and snow crampons were tucked away on the shelf happily at home to boot. Fortunately, I had my hearty Keen winter boots on my feet. They seemed fine enough to me, after all. 

I took a moment to talk to the Nordic Park Ranger about the terrain, then I took off up the trail. It was really steep but fortunately it was well used and packed out. The park ranger told me not to pass the river so I felt knowledgeable. I asked him to look for me at the end of the day if I didn't return and check in with him. 

My boots tracked better than I could have hoped for. It was a challenging workout going up a mountain. I hiked about three hours round trip and saw some really spectacular views and enjoyed the quiet. The constant noise of my life was nowhere to be found out there. Clearly, just me and the snow-covered hill made for a great day. 


After checking back-in with the park ranger, I went to pick up the family at our arranged meeting time, they looked at me sheepishly knowing that I had given up my day of skiing because of parking. They had a great day with fun stories to tell. They assumed that I didn’t. However, I was so thankful for my solo snow-hiking day in the woods. I loved sharing my adventure with them. 

It was delightful, beautiful, and not too eventful. 

Though it all, I learned that when life gives me lemons, to make lemonade (or go climb a mountain).

No comments:

Post a Comment