Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Thanksgiving

The weather is turning cooler outside and the leaves have nearly fallen from the trees. It seems that the earth is returning to a place of rest. It is drawing nearer to the still of winter as it reminisces about what will come and what has come of it. With this pause I too am reminded of the mercy that appears through reflection. I celebrate the heart that rises up by being deeply thankful for my many blessings that we have all been given over the past year.

In that reflection, I see the many fruits of both blessings and tragedies. This comes through remembering the many things in our lives that touch our hearts. New gifts and surprises of grace often come through pain, loss, and brokenness. They are gifts that remain after we choose to see through the adversity even if we are in the middle of it, walk hand and hand with the loss, and live with the reality that we may not have the answer. With every day that passes by I am struck by the simplicity of this. This is the season of unabridged thanks.

Recently I asked some folks what they are thankful for. I was struck that many of the responses sprung from mercy found in places of pain. It is finding a branch to hold onto in the midst of the flood that gives us the deepest gratitude. Many were thankful for the simple things, too. I am going to share a few. It is my hope that your thanks will spring up with greater clarity even as you look into their hearts.

*”I have lately been visiting many low-income schools in the Boston area and am reminded that having a home (even though it is church-owned and not actually ours), having books and school supplies and warm coats to wear and food on the table are blessings. These are provisions to not take for granted and things I should be thanking God for. I also need to always look for ways to reach out to those who are in need of these “basics” that we may overlook as blessings each day. Nothing profound… but from the heart…” (M)

*”I am thankful for the wonderful times I had with my brother whom we just recently lost.  It makes me realize how important it is to express our love for those we care about every day.  Each day is a gift, let’s enjoy it to the fullest.” (K)

*”I have a million things to be thankful for. It is nearly overwhelming! Every day there are scenes of suffering on TV and yet my family is healthy, prosperous, and safe. Just being alive and well is so much more than so many people have.” (S)

*One woman who recently lost her husband in a tragic accident said, “I try to remind myself every day what I am thankful for so that I don’t wallow in self pity. I am thankful for all the friendship and support I received and continue to receive from family and friends. I am thankful for the years I had with my dear husband. I am thankful for being alive and in good health.” (J)

*”I am especially thankful for my family, immediate, and extended. Family is such a glorious gift, and I shall always be grateful for time together and hospitality shared.” (C)

*”I’m thankful for my family, starting with my amazing, multi-talented, wife. My kids are great, too. I am thankful for opportunities at work that have borne good fruit this past year, along with others I’m in the midst of that I believe will be fruitful. I’m thankful for some memory-making and bond-building experiences with my family this past year – hiking, a vacation, a concert, skiing together, and more.” (B)

As I write these things down, I know that every one of you has something that has touched your heart this year. There are many highs and many lows. Some years have more balance than others. Some are more challenging. Some are wonderfully grace-filled. As you reflect upon what has shaped you this year maybe you have had beauty rising from the ashes, prosperity in the midst of pain, community transcending loneliness, and maybe it is nothing too profound but none-the-less from the heart.

It is my hope that the simple roots of Thanksgiving will return us to a place of rest and reflection, much like the earth is now. May Thanksgiving surround your table; may your gratitude for mutual interdependence, friendship, and community rise up; may your giving be out of abundance or even out of poverty. In this season of thanks may we call people up that we haven’t reached out to lately. May we reach out to the less fortunate, to those we have known, and family members. May we celebrate others and in doing so may we excavate something rich within us that makes us thankful for the mercy found in all things! Only by grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment