Sunday, August 30, 2015

My Conversation with Summer and Back-to-School


Ode to Summer 
Ode to Back-to-School

To Summer: I love you Summer. You make my family life blissful, happy, and free. You turn us away from the schedule and let us play and enjoy life. Summer you are my kind of happy!

To Back-to-School: I hate to be negative, but in many ways, I resent you. You lock me into a schedule that takes my children away from me. You make them grow up and become one year older. Preschool turns to Kindergarten. Third grade turns to fourth grade. Fifth grade turns to sixth grade. Seventh grade turns to eighth grade. Soon you will take them to college, I just know it!

Dearest Summer: As I reflect upon the task of sending the kids back into their schools, I am struck by the way that time continues to march on. They are growing up. Summer why does this happen? Why can’t you stave off Back-to-School a while longer? Back-to-school sends us off into many directions. Maybe you should stay longer, Summer. The first day of school is nearly here. Make it stop, Summer! I know Summer you have seen me sneaking out with Back-to-School.

Back-to-School, you led me to places that I shouldn’t have gone. Shopping, while Summer wasn’t looking, we went to Target to collect the perfect items to enable their little brains to learn. We went to the mall together again and again. Back-to-School, regretfully, I let you make me write check after check for school fees (7 in all thus far). You made me worry about the schedule and I got busy with lining up carpools. You promised it would help with the transition. I don’t know Back-to-School maybe I should have stayed true to Summer.

Back-to-School, I need to send you to time-out! Just wait right there and I will tell you when to get up. I will tell you when I am ready for you. I should have put you there a while ago.

Summer, when those precious kids of mine put on their new backpacks and new shoes and head out the door I dream that we will all have cherished every minute possible with you. You are my happy place. Very truly, I love you Summer.

Yet looking ahead, I know that I will acquiesce, even with my heavy heart. On Back-to-School’s big day Kindergarten, Fourth, Sixth, and Eighth will emerge from Pre-K, Third, Fifth, and Seventh. Back-to-School will take them away again. Summer, you brighten my life. I could love and keep you forever. Thanks for everything. Every moment has been awesome. I really can’t wait to see you again.

Summer, next time, please stay forever and never leave my side!



No comments:

Post a Comment