Monday, August 14, 2017

Eclipse America 2017!

I posted this before the eclipse. We didn't make it to path of totality. Now, I am bummed. I didn't anticipate that it wouldn't get dark where I was. It did get somewhat darker and a bit cold, though. I am reminded that -"the heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the the work of his hands." Psalm 119:1-6


Looking back to the Eclipse of 1979, I remember being home as a child playing with toys. We had big picture windows across the wall of our home. It was just a normal and peaceful kind of day as I played in the living room in the morning...until it got dark.

It was as if the heavens had a laundry day and a dark sheet, hanging out to dry, had covered the sun for a time only to have the winds come and move the sheet showing slivers of the sun as the sheet dried and blew in the wind. Even though it was a full eclipse, it wasn't completely dark; but I was scared and in awe of it all and ventured onto the porch with my family. 

I am really looking forward to the eclipse on August 21. There are some key factors to consider about how to view it. For starters, shoot for the unobstructed view of the sun. Think about where the sun is at that particular time of the day and plan ahead. I intend to try to move above the northwest trees by going out on the water or standing on a bridge. Since I won’t be on the path of totality, there will be only a partial eclipse where I am (about 85%), but it will still be really good. How about you? 

In the US, from Oregon to South Carolina the total eclipse will cross and we as a nation will all be looking upward to see the wonder above. The heavenly laundry day (from the eyes of a child) will last for mere minutes. This will be the event of a lifetime for young and old.

Plan ahead: Eclipse glasses will be helpful as we watch the eclipse emerge. I have some I ordered from Amazon in my hands in the picture above (make sure that the makers of your glasses are safe through checking for AAS: ISO 12312-2 or 12312-2:2015). They protect your retina from being burned from looking at the sun. The damage can happen without knowledge at the time and the damage can show up later in life.


In case you can't get outside, NASA is going to show a live stream that will last for four hours so that people from everywhere can take it all in. What an exciting event the 2017 Eclipse will be. The predictability of our solar system will surely take a unique turn and surprise us.

No comments:

Post a Comment