Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Voice



“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” Henry David Thoreau

Yesterday, I was walking through the park with my son in hand. He was decked out in his swimsuit, flip-flops, and signature towel. We were off to his daily swim lesson at the outdoor pool. A man was walking toward us with the hugest grin. I thought, "Oh my, what's next, does he think I am cute, really?" Then he began to sing. Whoa. He serenaded me with a love song as he walked towards me. He sang loudly with hand gestures and emotion. In reply, I smiled and waved. (Turning 40 makes one appreciate such adoration). He sang his heart out as if he really meant the words. With a smile my swimmer and I went to the pool. During lessons I went to QFC to return some videos. My serenading dream-boat was on his way out at QFC! He quickly said to me, “I sang pretty good didn’t I?” I agreed. He said, “I know; I should be on the Voice.” I beamed and said, “Absolutely,” and headed down the path to the pool. With a big grin and fearlessness, I could see him trying out with all of his heart - I can only hope for kindness from the judges. This guy was dancing to a different drummer. Stardom was his destiny! 

When I think of the turns that life takes I wonder if sometimes we think that our song is the only one worth singing to; our rhythm the only good one.  I like the quote from Thoreau, which encourages us to make room for the music of others. What is the narrative that they are living? What is stirring them to press on? Maybe we don’t care; but at the same time unless it is unlawful or just plain wrong we shouldn’t sit on the high seat of judgment.

The other day I passed a man wearing shabby clothes, looking thin, and un-kept. Yet, in his arms was this little precious baby, maybe 2 months old. He was bouncing her and giving her 1,000 kisses, truly a love-struck dad. His complete focus was this little one. As I passed, I smiled and cooed to the baby. He looked up, so proud. I thought, truly this man was the richest man around! His rhythm was giving him the dance of joy. This made me so happy I could almost hear the song.

I am reminded time and again not to look down or up at others. I am reminded to appreciate the unique quirks that folks have. Embracing who God made them to be is good. The journey is not to a similar pace. We all move to the beat of a different drummer. So let’s embrace the music of our lives and others’ lives and maybe one day we will see our love-struck buddies on the Voice.


Give space. Give time. Give freedom…so that you, and others, can hear and see the quirky beat of the Drummer playing our tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment