Saturday, June 11, 2016

The Day I had a Turtle in My Car




I was driving down a four-lane city road the other day. I was stunned at what I saw in front of me. A turtle was trying to cross the busy 4 lane road, one slow and quiet step at a time. 

I have been a huge fan of the turtles in this area for some time and did not want to see this one get squished!


In a panic, I knew I had to do something.

I put my emergency blinkers on and got out of my car and stopped traffic. I picked up the turtle with two hands and put it in my car on the passenger seat. Immediately, the little head, legs, and tail of the turtle went inside its shell.

I drove the turtle to the nearby turtle habitat and let it go into the fresh water lake. Initially, it went into the water and flipped upside down. So we lifted it out of the water and tried again, making sure it didn't flip over. The second time worked, and out popped the head, tail and legs! With heart-felt intensity the turtle swam away. An onlooker there was a naturalist and she joined the cause. Her friends took pictures (they texted me the above picture). 

Clearly, we never know when nature is going to collide with our daily lives. I can now say that truly my passenger seat is ready for the next turtle that wants a ride.

For the #loveofturtles.



No comments:

Post a Comment